Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Festival of Jason: The Big Day

No sleeping in or breakfast in bed, not this birthday. Jane has been stupidly busy with work and needed to be there early. So we got up even earlier still to start the celebration and open my presents. My many lovely, lovely presents...
























Afterward, Jane went to work and I took both kids to childcare, yes both of them (there was a casual spot available at the rate of $25 – happy birthday to me). I then enjoyed three sweet hours of quiet, spending much of it reading cards, and answering numerous birthday emails, Facebook messages and phone calls. I like stuff, everybody here knows how much I like my stuff, but by far the best part of the day was the people. Its was like there was some kind of global conspiracy of love.

To my wife, my kids and the friends and family that took the time to reach out from around the world and wish me well, thank you. Thank you all.

Once the kids were safely abed, Jane and I left them under the watchful eyes of a sitter and went for dinner at the highly recommended Fraser Café, just down the road. It was a delicious disaster. I simply wasn’t that hungry in the first place, and then my entre arrived. Now, the Fraser Café has an option where, rather than ordering off the menu, you pay a set amount and the chef simply makes whatever he wants for you. That is the option I chose, which I guess means it is my own fault that a stonking great bowl of risotto arrived as my appetizer. It was delicious, I ate it all, and when my Cornish hen main meal arrived, (also the chef’s choice) a good 2/3rds of it went into a doggy-bag for home. Dessert was not an option. Meanwhile, Jane greatly enjoyed an enormous cheese platter entre, and then her scallops arrived smelling wonderful, but resting upon a bed of Jane’s culinary nemesis – capsicum (it was not listed as part of the dish on the menu). And so, back to the kitchen it went. About 15 minutes later another plate, this one sans capsicum, emerged and was greatly enjoyed. Well, as much as she could eat after scarfing down that giant cheese platter. Once again, a doggy-bag was required and dessert was not an option. Do not for one second imagine that we won’t be going back, or that I will have eaten any lunch on the day it happens.

And so, I waddled to car and rolled home. Older, wiser, and most definately rounder. A very fine day indeed.

3 comments:

  1. Good to hear you had a great day, jason. Happy birthday, ya Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look immensely happy. Best wishes from a stranger in OZ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang -- that sounds like a cool way to run a restaurant. I like that! Happy birfday, comrade. Well done on getting this far.

    ReplyDelete