Thursday, June 2, 2011

Spring is GLORIOUS.

After a rather long and drawn out winter, spring is well and truly upon us.  With anticipation heightened by the severity of the Canadian Winter, it is hard to overstate how much people around here embrace the change. And it’s not just people, the environment itself seems over-invigorated. The trees in the neighborhood and local parks exploded and are awash with blossoms. The air carries a powerful mix of fresh cut grass and flowers (with the odd wiff of mulch thrown in for variety). Half the population is wearing shorts and short skirts, while the other half has accidents and whiplash. Australia’s two seasons - ‘on fire’ and ‘under water’ - are simply no match for the explosion of greenery and life on display around here at the moment. Glorious I tell you.


Jane's work, and quite a contrast to my Halloween window boxes.

Spring means frocks, hats and freezy-pops!

Spring means new swimmers and flowers, lots of flowers.

3 comments:

  1. What is the red plant that Jane grew in the boxes? I can't make them out - snapdragons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you absolutely. Tasmania really does get four seasons. They aren't as extreme as Canada, but winter is dark and cold and wet and dreary, and when spring comes, it brings flowers and light and life, and It. Is. Fucking. Brilliant.

    I have no idea how I lived the two-season existence as long as I did.

    ReplyDelete