Ironing. I hate ironing. On balance its probably my 2nd least favorite domestic chose (the dinner dishes are #1). In the good old days, by which I mean the 1950s, my darling wife would have seen to all my linen-based needs - after seeing to my gin and tonic needs and while wearing seamed stockings. These days, not so much. To add insult to injury, I work in an area where anything short of five crisply ironed shirts p/week will be the source of comment and office gossip. This really does confuse me somewhat since where I work people really ought to have better things to whisper about. Anyway, I have my five shirts, all clean and wrinkly, laid out and awaiting their appointment with the iron. Their last appointment, because after I finish up I am unlikely to need another crisply ironed, clean business shirt and tie until sometime in early 2012. Let the Ottawa-emancipation begin!
Damn right that is exciting.
Whoa.
ReplyDeleteSeriously: I could not function in a place where being un-ironed was reason for gossip. You remember me. Last time I worked for the government, I rode my motorcycle* into the office and did donuts around my desk for April First.
The concept of living by the iron is... no, I'm getting a headache now.
*It was a 100cc commuter bike, okay?
I'm lucky enough to have a workplace where i can turn up in my pajamas and not a word would be spoken except "Friggin wish I wore some flannelette into work... Jeez he looks warm"
ReplyDeleteYou would think the 'Jeez he looks warm' angle would carry some weight in CBR, but no.
ReplyDelete"You work for an internal help desk. If an external client ever has to see you, things will be so dire the last thing they will be thinking about is what you are wearing."
ReplyDeleteLicence to wear pretty much anything! In the last year, I have ironed twice - both times for weddings. Win!
The best example I can think of WRT the importance of ones shirt comes from another department, specifically the dept of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). On his 1st day as head of DFAT, the Secretary wore a very smart suit with an immaculate and crisply ironed blue shirt and tie. This was a message to his underlings. The previous Secretary had been widely rumoured to hold strong opinions regarding the blokes of his department wearing anything less than an immaculate and crisply ironed white shirt and tie.
ReplyDeleteYep, thats CBR.
A friend of mind has a really cheap Chinese ironing lady...worth every penny he reckons ;-)
ReplyDelete